Sunday, September 6, 2009

THE SPIDER AND THE FLY!

The Spider and the Fly
Mary Howitt

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly, 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy; The way into my parlour is up a winding stair, And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there." Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain, For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again." "I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high; Will you rest upon my little bed?" said the Spider to the Fly. "There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin, And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!" Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "for I've often heard it said, They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!"

I was "deadheading" my rose bushes in the front yard the other day when my hand became entangled in a spider web. When I looked closely, I saw the huge spider in the picture above and he appeared to be staring at me. I believe I saw him lick his lips in anticipation of the largest meal he had ever captured. Observe his size compared to the cicada trapped in his web.

After I picked myself up off the ground, I began to look at his web and how intricate, attractive and enticing it was. If I had been a bug meandering on by, I probably wouldn't even have noticed the web, and would have flown straight into it. Then I'm sure I would have panicked and by the struggle, I would have become more entangled in it's clutches. Not knowing what this beautiful black and gold creature, who was crawling toward me had in mind, I would have been enraptured by his black and golden yellow coloring and the silver crown that adorned his head. I would have ceased my struggle,,,,UNTIL he opened his mouth to eat me!

The Bible warns us to " Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil...walks around, seeking whom he may devour: 1Pe 5:8" Everything he displays is meant to trigger responses in and of your fleshly desires. All of his objects are beautiful to the eyes and pleasing to the senses, stirring up the lusts and passions of our hearts and minds.

I believe that he may have inspired the very words of the Poem quoted above."Its the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy...and I have many curious things to shew you..." "Just one last fleeting moment of pleasure." "Just this one last time." "You're not hurting anyone, because no one will know." "Just one more glance, one more bowl of ice cream, one more toke, one more sleazy movie, one more drink, one more abuse, one more neglected tithe, one more idol between you and God, one more Sunday morning to sleep in..." The list goes on. Fill in your own "just one more."

Remember in his case, beauty is only superficial. He has been a "...a murderer from the beginning, and has abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him...for he is a liar, and the father of lies." John 8:44 Remember this! Every time you walk voluntarily into his web of deceit and lies (departing from God's Truth) something will die in your life. Sin has a cost, and its a price that you must pay. Romans 6:23 confirms this fact. "For the wages of sin is death..." Every time we fly into the web of sin and destruction something dies, is stolen, or destroyed. John 10:10 Relationships, finances, physical or emotional well being, family, emotional bonds, trust, relationship with God, annointing, marriages, futures, jobs; all aspects of our lives take a hit when we choose to depart from the "shadow of the Almighty," as described in Psalm 91.

In 1 Peter 5: 8, we are commanded to be sober...
Not to be intoxicated, affected or influenced by the things of this world. We are to be under the influence only of the Spirit of God. Ephesians 5:18 "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit..." We are to be marked by seriousness and a sense of gravity. This is serious business which exerts eternal and temporal influence.

We are commanded to be vigilant...to be paying close and continuous attention to the influences that surround us, because our actions and choices have consequences on our lives and the lives of those in our household. You know that this spiritual truth is valid. The children of an abusive alchoholic are more likely to end up with the same sort of lifestyle. Vigilant means to focus your complete attention on all the details of life, keeping track of our surroundings and maintaining a watchful eye, and a hearing ear on any possibilities of trouble.

We are commanded to be sober and vigilant because the enemy of our souls is looking for someone "whom he may devour." If the cicada in the picture above had been sober and vigilant, he would still be singing in the forest out back. Instead he now lies dead and is currently being eaten! Like the spider, satan himself often appears to be very attractive to our thought life, but each and every encounter with them can be deadly, no matter how attractive the scenario may be!

Let me close with this:
EVERY TIME YOU REACH OUT TO SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL...
HE WILL BITE YOUR ARM OFF!


Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. MAKE YOUR CHOICE TODAY! RUN WITH GOD. ABIDE IN HIM. DWELL IN THE SECRET PLACE. ABIDE IN THE SHADOW!







No comments: