Monday, August 3, 2009

GOING THROUGH THE FIRE?

Isaiah 43:2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.

When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.


This is a picture of my son Michael, his wife Kristine and their daughter Eva. Michael is going through the fire (Intense pressure) right now. Because he chose to pursue a new career in Information Technology and Program Management, he has had to make severe sacrifices for the time being. The toughest obstacle is being separated from his family, whom he loves dearly.


As I was riding my bike (late night) and talking with the Lord, He gave these words for me to impart to Michael and then He told me to share them with you!


First, we need to be truthful concerning fire. Fire is hot and causes pain. You should not be surprised or caught off guard when you enter into the fiery furnaces of life. Jesus warned us with these words in John 16:33..."These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation(pressure, stress,squashing,squeezing): but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Everyone in this world goes through the fire at one stage or another, and oftentimes it seems that we go from one fire to another. Because He has overcome, we can walk in a place of peace no matter how immense the pressure!


Find His purposes in the fire and set your focus on Him. "For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Romans 8:6 Those who set their minds on matters of the Holy Spirit, experience life and peace no matter what the circumstances.


I was going through some pretty wild times a few years back and I cried out to the Lord saying "When will this end?" He simply spoke back in that still, small voice and said "It won't!" I have learned that as a Disciple (Not just a Believer) the heat is usually always on! As younger, immature Christians we sometimes enter in to a time of complaining, resisting and looking constantly for ways to escape the pressure. I have learned that pressure is a good thing and that God will use the fires of life, no matter what the origin (Himself, Ourself or the devil) to mold, shape and conform us closer to the image of Christ in us, He desires.


I discovered and meditated on a very unusual Scripture in James 2:2-4 "Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything."


What? You want me to be joyful when troubles come my way? Am I to be a glutton for punishment? Isn't that crazy? Not when you begin to comprehend that in the midst of the fire, your faith is tested and grown. Going through the fires of life can equip you and get you "ready for anything!" Everyone in the Bible who became what God wanted them to become went through times of testing. Joseph in prison; Daniel in the lion's den; Paul imprisoned and beaten; Jesus in the Garden; Shadrach, Meshack & Abednego in the fiery furnace.


In reading the story of the fiery furnace in Daniel Chapter three we discover...

How to make it through the fire...


1) Know that everyone is currently going through some kind of fire, whether spiritually, financially, family, sickness, relational. You are not the only one in the fire! "But remember that the temptations (trials)that come into your life are no different from what others experience." 1 Corinthians 10:13


Personally, I believe that pressure is designed to create intimacy with God. Think about how distant we seem to wander when everything is going well. Hopefully, as soon as it gets a little rough we are smart enough to turn to God. Eventually, we learn to stay with Him and remain connected with Him in fellowship, praise, prayer and obedience. Daniel 3:21 "So they tied them up and threw them into the furnace..." Because of the sin nature of this fallen world, everyone goes through the fire at one time or another!


If you feel bad about the fire you're in, take a look at what the Apostle Paul had to endure; you'll feel better immediately. "They say they serve Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in jail more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be Christians but are not.I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm. 2 Corinthians 11:23-27


Now stop whining...it could be worse!


2) Know that you are not alone God is with you! Psalm 118:6 states that "The Lord God is on my side; I will not fear what man can do..." He has promised He will be with us no matter what we do or what we feel. Even when you FEEL alone, He is with us! Heb 13:5 "…he has said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you."


3) You will be tempted to give up and succumb to the effects of the flames. The enemy of your soul will speak these words to you in the midst of your fire, attempting to have you give up and quit. "I will give you one more chance. If you bow down...all will be well. But if you refuse, you will be thrown immediately into the blazing furnace. What god will be able to rescue you from my power then?” Daniel 3:15


Remember that "...God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it. 1 Corinthians 10:13” You don't have to bow!


4) Make a declaration of God's willingness & ability. Daniel 3:17 "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power..." Stop your mind from being overwhelmed with facts. God's Truth always over-rides fact! Romans 10:10 "For with the heart man believes...and with the mouth confession is made..."

When David faced his giant, he prophesied the fall of the giant even before he engaged in combat. 1 Samuel 17:45 “Then said David to the Philistine, Thou come to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou have defied. This day will the LORD deliver thee into my hand; and I will smite you, and take your head from you; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.” Begin to prophesy your emergence from the fire and your ultimate victory!


5) Know that it may get a little hotter before it gets better! Daniel 3:19 "Nebuchadnezzar was so furious with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego that his face became distorted with rage. He commanded that the furnace be heated seven times hotter than usual." In the Kingdom of God, there are processes that we must endure in order for him to fulfill His purposes, maybe even in the lives of others. Have you noticed that our trials usually involve other people, as well ? He doesn’t always answer the way you think He should. He is God and He knows best. His timing is always perfect.


6) Connect with others in the midst of your fire. You are not designed to ever go it alone. We are the members of the Body of Christ. If you go it alone you will be burned. 1Corinthians 12:21 “…the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of you: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.” You cannot state this either by your words or your actions; the way you live your life in relation one to another. If you disconnect and enter the fires of life by yourself, the odds remain against your survival. Daniel 3:23 23 “And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.”


7) Know that the power of God is with you! Daniel 3:25 “I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. His presence, His ability, His Companionship, His strength, His wisdom, His power, His destiny for you will all be present in the heart of the fiery trials of your life. Ask Him what good can come out of this trial. Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” Its refreshing to know that God has a plan that determines the final outcome of your trail.


8) You are destined to go through the fire and you will come out on the other side and people will see that the fire had not touched them. Not a hair on their heads was singed, and their clothing was not scorched. They didn’t even smell of smoke!. 1 Samuel 3:27 You will not be consumed by your trial. The experience will not slow you down or defeat you. It will empower you to trust further in His ability.


9) God will receive praise for your personal victory. You will stand as an eternal memorial to the goodness and faithfulness of God as you rely on Him. The world needs to see His movement in your circumstances so they too can come into relationship with Him! Daniel 3:29 “Therefore I make a decree, That …. there is no other God that can deliver after this sort.”


10) Here is the best news yet. On the other side of your fiery furnace there is a promotion from the king for YOU! Daniel 3:30 “Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego…”

.

No comments: