Sunday, July 4, 2010

LET FREEDOM RING!

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36

As we prepare to celebrate the 234th anniversary of our nation's independence, we reflect on "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" - those attributes of freedom stated in the U.S. Declaration of Independence. Freedom of religion, of speech, the press, of assembly, of petition ... all guaranteed by the first of ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution (known as the U.S. Bill of Rights) proposed by our nation's founders in 1789.

In this great Nation even though our Declaration of Independence states that we are free to pursue Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, most Americans are still headed in the wrong direction and are becoming more and more frustrated with the pursuit. We're free to pursue it; but we still can't grasp life, liberty or happiness. As a result of the frustration, we have become a society that medicates in some form or fashion to get to sleep at night, to awake in the morning and to make it through the day! One would believe since we are free to pursue, that we ought to have found life, liberty and happiness in the last 233 years. It simply seems we are drifting further from the goal with each passing year.

My first thirty years were spent in pursuing the American dream, and by worldly standards I had achieved the dream. I was a VIP at my High School and played big time College Athletics on a Scholarship. I had money, women, house on the river, parties, "friends", opportunity, cars, boats, party goods and everything this world calls good.

On the inside I was empty and dead. I had no meaning. Something inside of me was crying out..."There must be more to life than this!" Over my years I had observed others; most were in the same situation that I was in...Nothingness. There were the few however, that had something that was different...they had a peace that made no sense to me. There was a sense of joy in their lives, no matter what their circumstances. Their relationships had depth and meaning and I noticed that they had grasped a hold of what I was searching for. They almost seemed to good to be true!

Every one of these people had a personal relationship with this "Jesus!" I had heard about Him, but I'd never met Him personally! He was the common denominator to securing that which I was seeking...peace, meaning, purpose, ability....LIFE, LIBERTY AND HAPPINESS!

Soooooooooooo...I began to read His Declaration of Independence...the Bible. One of the first Scriptures that impacted me was John 8: 31 "If you continue in my word, then you are my disciples indeed; And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.."

I dug into the declaration and I, in fact, discovered the way to securing true Life, Liberty and Happiness.

1) Life...Jesus said in John 10:10 that He came that we might have Life(Zoe: The God Kind of Life), and have it more abundantly. John 1:4 states that "In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

This Life is what separates Jesus from all the other "philosophers" They came to bring light or illuminate the minds of men, but Jesus came to impart the very Life of God into His precious creation! Here's the way it works out... " But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." John 1:12 It is only the Life of God that is able to illuminate the minds of men! I have learned as I discover the Principles of God and apply them in my life, I am able to live life the way it was designed...The John 10:10 or "God Kind" of life!

2) Liberty... The more I uncovered the truths contained in His declaration, the more liberty I received. Jesus said that Knowing the Truth would make me free. John 8:32 I am free from the effects of sin...I no longer fear death or feel the guilt and shame when I do sin. Romans 6:18 states that "having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness."

When my Dad passed on into the Presence of the Lord a couple years ago, the Lord spoke this word to me concerning his passing. "No man can stare death in the eye unafraid, whose destiny is not certain!" People often ask me concerning some of the ministry trips I take..."Aren't you afraid, with all that's going on in the world?" My response is simply..."What's the worse case scenario? I die...BUT THEN I live." No one can kill me OR you! We are going to exist forever. Where you spend eternity depends on what choices you make before you exit your earth suit. (Body) Romans 8:2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.."

I am free from self doubt and inadequacy because He is my ability! I am free from fear because He is my Peace! I am free from judgment because He is my Righteousness! I am free from what others think of me, because He is on my side! I am free from failure because He is my Victory! I am never alone because He is with me always! I am never empty because He fills my life with meaning and purpose! I am free from weakness because He is my Strength! I am free to live life the way I was designed, because He is my Life. I am never lost because He is my Way! I am never deceived because He is my Truth! I never lose because He is my Way where there is no way! Get the Picture?

3) Happiness... "Happy indeed are those whose God is the LORD." Psalm 144:15 What more can I say? I have the Spirit and the Life of Almighty God coursing through my veins and I'm free! I respect people but I don't fear any man!

So if you continue to search for Life, Freedom and happiness, your search can end today! Forgive me, but I'm not talking about those who simply talk about Jesus; go to church once in a blue moon, yet do absolutely nothing to advance His Kingdom! I am talking about those Believers who have become disciples and are functioning in the Body of Christ, digging into His Word, applying His Principles, telling others of His Love and allowing His Spirit to flow through their lives!

America had it right in the beginning...we were One nation Under God...a Nation founded on Biblical Principles but somehow the world and its concerns have caused us to lose our way! We are the light of the world...we are Ambassadors of Jesus Christ...we have been commissioned to lead this great Nation back to the glory days of old! Let's wrap it up this way... 2 Chronicles 7:14 proclaims "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land."

It's not America's fault that we have fallen into depravity. The Church needs to arise and show the way, lead the way into the pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness! What will you do today?

So I encourage you to "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." Galatians 5:1
As the song goes...."I am free to run. I am free to dance. I am free to live for you. I am free. I am free..."

No comments: