Sunday, August 1, 2010

A WORK IN PROGRESS!


Phillipians 1:6 “And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.”

When I first came to know the Lord personally, someone came to me and told me that THEY hadn’t sinned since they had gotten saved several years ago. That statement floored me, because I was still struggling in certain areas of my life. Thank God I found the Scripture above. Exactly what it states is this. “Until the day I pass on, or Jesus returns, I am a work in progress and that there are no perfect people in this earth."

Even Paul struggled with his post conversion life. Romans 7: 14-24 “…I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do…. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice…I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”

Paul needed to know, even as we do, that in fact, we are not perfect when we are saved, except within our spirit. Remember you are a spirit. We have a soul (mind, emotions, intellect, willpower, imaginations, etc.,) and we live in a house called a body. During your life time you will be on a continuous journey to working toward perfection in Christ. I’m sorry to say, but even people who are of the family of God, still do sin.

Thank God that He does not demand that I change immediately and completely. My little mind would explode in the face of the impossibility! Paul felt the same way. Romans 7:24 “O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” The Word for you today is to be patient!

Get into the presence of God today and ask Him what He wishes to work on, at this time in your life. Then respond in loving obedience. His wish list and priority list may be quite different than yours. When He “began the good work within…” me, He chose areas of my life that were different than I would have chosen! He wanted to work on my “love” life instead of the drugs and alcohol, first! Know this, that what He commands you to do, He will also empower you to finish! Phillipians 2:13 “For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him.”

When you first come to a saving knowledge and personal relationship with Jesus, all of your sins are forgiven. As long as you continue in developing your relationship with God and believing in His free gift of eternal life, when you do stumble and sin, what is effected is your fellowship with Him, not your eternal destiny! Sin effects your intimacy level with God, your ability to hear, receive, and walk in his promises and His divine ability

When we do fall in sin, His method of restoration to fellowship is to confess our failure as sin. 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” The area that really effects our fellowship with Him is the habitual, repetitive sins. 1 John 1:6 “So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness.” This Scripture carries the idea that habitual sin destroys our intimate fellowship with God.

So the order of the day is to…
1) Find out what God is interested in developing in our lives day by day.
2) Receive His willpower and His ability.
3) Confess our sin instantly upon conviction of the Holy Spirit.
4) Repent. Stop the specific sin!

OR WE RUN THE RISK OF LOSING THE CONNECTIVITY BETWEEN THE VINE AND THE BRANCHES JESUS SPEAKS OF IN JOHN 15, RESULTING IN FAILURE!

John 15:5 “…apart from Me, you can do nothing!”

You are a work in progress. Ephesians 2:10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus…” While the work is heading toward completion, stay connected with God and receive everything He has to offer through your loving obedience. Deuteronomy 7:9 “Know therefore that the LORD your God, he is God, the faithful God, Who keeps covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments…”

No comments: